Hi, I’m Jonathan Mayer.
I work to make technology law smarter, with empirical research.
I’m currently on loan from Stanford to the federal government.
Some favorite projects...
- Measured how phone metadata is closely interconnected, easily identifiable, and highly sensitive.
- Showed how the NSA’s foreign Internet rules cover ordinary Americans.
(President Obama’s intelligence review group referenced this research.)
- Corrected the Obama and Romney campaigns on web privacy.
- Collaborated with Cal DOJ to bring privacy policies to mobile apps.
- Spotted companies circumventing a Safari privacy feature.
(This research contributed to a record-breaking FTC penalty.)
- Built FourthParty, a platform for measuring dynamic web content.
- Proposed a Do Not Track technology and policy standard.
(Many others have worked on Do Not Track, of course.)